Introduction – Medical treatments nowadays depend on a variety of devices or medical sensors. These sensors detect and measure physical, chemical, or biological signals. There are different types of sensors used in the medical field like biosensors, temperature sensors, and others. The industries that use medical sensors are orthopedics, diagnostic, cardiovascular, diabetes, dental, surgical, and others.
What is the process involved in designing medical sensors?
-The medical miniature sensors include active implantable devices like pacemakers, neurostimulators, or pumps that detect drugs in the body as well as passive implantable devices like catheters and access ports. The production of these devices involves a two-stage process of designing, manufacturing, and implementation. The design of medical sensors follows the client’s criteria and requirements. The process of manufacture needs specialized machines. The production of these medical sensors requires on-site labs that provide a suitable, non-contaminated working environment for the engineers associated with the process. The product produces after this process undergoes a quality check to determine whether it is maintaining Internal Standard or not. In the next step, the product gets ready for implementation.Sensors in medical treatment
Application of medical sensor –
Medical miniature sensors have a variety of applications as describe below –
- It measures the temperature of the body through temperature sensors.
- It heats or freezes cancerous tumors and thus helps in the treatment of cancers.
- It can reduce the energy consumption of body implants.
- It can detect the inaccessible location in human body.
- It can increase the lifespan of body implants.
Specifications in the manufacture of medical coils –
Medical miniature sensors forms of ultra-thin miniature wires or a series of spiral loops called “medical coil”. It appears too challenging for companies manufacturing medical devices. These companies need high-quality medical coils to produce such devices. The quality and the design of the medical coil they produce draws the attention of medical professionals and surgeons.
There are some certain requirements like-
- Coils production comply with the requirement of customers.
- Coils produced, should maintain standards.
- Coils undergo cross-checking to avoid any fault.
- Use of special machines that can wind miniature coils.
- Specific diameter is maintained according to the client’s requirement.
- The shape of the wire can be round, flat, single familiar, or multi familiar.
- Heat setting or cold forming technologies used in the coil manufacturing processgives it various shapes.
- Coating of the wire involves uses materialslike PEBAX, FEP, ETFE.
Final thought –
The companies that are manufacturing medical devices or sensors play a vital role in the medical field. They provide doctors with innovative medical instruments that make their job easier. People working in the medical field high rely upon such devices in their everyday work lives.