Macs aren’t prone to viruses. Well, this is an obsolete idea now!
No, we aren’t saying that macOS is an insecure operating system, it has been considered to be a safe platform for numerous reasons such as FileVault, Safari protections, Sandboxing, GateKeeper, and the list goes on. But that doesn’t mean they are not susceptible to viruses and other malware. According to a recent study “Protect Your Mac From Malware computers increased by over 1,000 percent in 2020.”
In addition to this, several Apple users have forgotten to use the antivirus software, deeming it is unnecessary. This further makes the Mac machines vulnerable to a variety of existing and new threats and invites cybercriminals to take advantage of security flaws.
How to Know That Protect Your Mac From Malware?
Before you learn how to detect a virus on Mac, it is important to analyze the signs that reflect your Mac is infected. Here’s the list of common symptoms that you may witness:
- Mac working slowly; you may face performance issues.
- New extensions start appearing on your device from nowhere.
- Your browser homepage gets changed without your knowledge.
- Your Mac gets bombarded with annoying advertisements & pop-ups.
- You are unable to access your private & confidential data.
- You start receiving security alerts without scanning your Mac.
- Other users may start receiving spam from your accounts.
If your Mac shows any signs of infections or starts behaving in a sluggish manner, there are different measures you can implement to free your device from security flaws.
How Do I Do A Virus Scan On My Mac?
Instead of googling “How to clean my Mac from malware?” and downloading any antivirus protection software for Mac that comes at the top of the search listing, we suggest using CleanMyMac X. It’s a dedicated cleaning, optimization, and protection solution to scan your Mac for new malware threats, including viruses, miners, loggers, trojan horse, adware, spyware, ransomware, worms and more. The application has a robust malware monitor that works in real-time and detects dubious apps and links that attempt to get into your machine and hampers overall performance.
To use the Malware Removal Module on CleanMyMac X all you have to do is:
STEP 1 = Download, install and launch CleanMyMac on your computer. It is one of the Best Mac Cleaners for both older and newer versions of macOS.
STEP 2 = Navigate to the Malware Removal module and hit the Scan button.
STEP 3 = As soon as the scanning process gets completed, take a look at the review summary which displays the list of harmful items that may compromise your Mac’s security.
STEP 4 = By default, CleanMyMac X already selects all the detected threats that may pose harm to your device. So, we recommend you don’t make any significant alterations to the list and simply hit the Clean button located at the bottom of the window Protect Your Mac From Malware.
It is recommended to run CleanMyMac’s Malware Removal module once a week and make sure you enable the real-time monitor to ensure nothing harmful enters your device. It even features an excellent Background Scanning option that runs a swift anti-malware routine to ensure no malicious item remains undetected. These excellent functionalities make CleanMyMac the Best Mac Cleaner & Optimizer in the market at the moment! Protect Your Mac From Malware.
Effective Tips to Clean My Mac from Malware (2021)
We’ve collected some tips for Mac users to protect their machines from potential threats.
- Keep your macOS and all the installed software up-to-date. (Go to System Preferences > Software Update > Download new updates when available)
- Install Mac programs from official and trustworthy sources like Mac App Store or directly from the software’s official website.
- Use a reliable antivirus application that might give you some peace of mind.
- Avoid disabling the built-in ‘System Integrity Protection feature.
- Keep your browser caches cleaned. (CleanMyMac has a feature to list & remove caches and other associated residues)
- Don’t connect to public Wi-Fi networks.
- Remove suspicious applications that you can’t recognize. (We recommend using the Best Mac Uninstaller – Advanced Uninstall Manager to quickly list & remove programs securely)Ignore phishing emails; do not respond to emails that require you to enter a password or install anything.
- Use strong, unique & complex passwords made up of at least eight characters. Try making a combination of numbers, letters (in both upper/lower case), special characters & symbols. Protect Your Mac From Malware.
- Clear unnecessary download items (since .dmg files are the major source of Mac viruses).
- Keep a check on browser extensions and remove the items you don’t remember adding.
- Get rid of suspicious login items (Go to the System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items and uncheck the boxes)
- Try using a VPN service to stay anonymous while browsing the Internet.
- Make sure your Mac’s Firewall is switched on.
- Practice good web-browsing skills and be aware of what you’re viewing.
- Make sure you Backup your Mac regularly (use Time Machine to get the task done)
- Manage to share your physical location with different apps (Go to the System Preferences > click on the Security & Privacy icon > navigate to Privacy tab & make changes)
If you really practice all the aforementioned tips along with the Best Mac Cleaner & Protector CleanMyMac X, you certainly don’t have to worry about threats disrupting your experience while operating on Mac. Of course, things change, so keep your device updated according to the latest security news to improve overall protection. Protect Your Mac From Malware
We hope you got your answer for “How can I clean my Mac from malware? or “How do I protect my Mac from malware?”. If you have any questions, feel free to mention them in the comments section!